[GIT PULL] fscache: I/O API modernisation and netfs helper library

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Feb 12 20:05:47 EST 2021

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 3:21 PM David Howells <dhowells at redhat.com> wrote:

> Most of the development discussion took place on IRC and waving snippets of
> code about in pastebin rather than email - the latency of email is just too
> high.  There's not a great deal I can do about that now as I haven't kept IRC
> logs.  I can do that in future if you want.

No, I really don't.

IRC is fine for discussing ideas about how to solve things.

But no, it's not a replacement for actual code review after the fact.

If you think email has too long latency for review, and can't use
public mailing lists and cc the people who are maintainers, then I
simply don't want your patches.

You need to fix your development model. This whole "I need to get
feedback from whoever still uses irc and is active RIGHT NOW" is not a
valid model. It's fine for brainstorming for possible approaches, and
getting ideas, sure.

               Linus