Methods of Restricting AFS3 ACL rights

Andrew Deason adeason at sinenomine.net
Wed Jan 13 13:49:39 EST 2010

To all AFS users and administrators,

Recently, the OpenAFS community has been discussing potential methods
of restricting ACL modifications. In other words, possible ways of
preventing just any user with 'a' rights from granting 'rlidwka'
rights to system:anyuser, if the administrator wants to prevent it.

Since the way we go about doing this is potentially very visible to both
AFS administrators and users, we are asking any interested parties from
the wider AFS community to voice their opinions. The explanation for the
various methods now exists as an Internet Draft, and can be found at
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-deason-afs3-acl-restrictions-01.txt>

This is just to explore the options and get feedback. We would
appreciate it if you let us know of any problems or concerns you may
have the described approaches, or if you support the ideas (even if it's
just "I want this feature but don't have time to read the document").

We are aiming to start work on standardizing the mechanisms for actually
implementing one of these methods in early February at the latest, so
please try to express feedback by then, if you can.

Please direct any feedback to <afs3-standardization at openafs.org>. Any
further updates on this will also only be posted there.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason at sinenomine.net