ETAs for libusbx operability and first release?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 14:52:13 EST 2012

Hi,

On 01/30/2012 05:46 PM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

<snip>

>> For instance, if you want a hotplug proposal right after the 1.0.9 release,
>
> I'd say hotplug is something for v2.

I must say that I don't really like the idea of a v2, what I would like
to see is 1.0.x and master git branches, with everything going to master
first, with aggressive cherry picking to 1.0.x for fixes, and safe features.

The occasional more disruptive feature can mature on master and then we
can do a couple 1.1.x releases from master for testing and then
jump to 1.2.0 for the first stable release, starting a new 1.2.x branch,
rinse-repeat.

I don't think ABI / API breakage is soemthing we should think to lightly
about. How long has it been since we moved from 0.1 to 1, and how many
apps are still using 0.1 ? For example libgphoto2, one of our major
users has only moved to libusb1 very recently!

I'm not against an ABI breaking v2 if we have too, but I've the feeling
people are thinking much to lightly about this. If reasonably possible
we should try to add something like hotplug to the existing v1 libusb.

Regards,

Hans