How to add an ip address to a veth device in libnl? & Is there any quick start tutorials to learn how to use libnl? & How to contribute to the documentation?

hahawang hahwang at yandex.com
Fri Oct 29 00:21:50 PDT 2021

Hello,

I am a newbie to libnl and I want to use the libnl to setup a network
bridge for me.
But I stumped at assigning IP address to a virtual device like `veth1`
and I need your help.

Briefly speaking, what I want to do in `iproute2` can be written as

```
     ip link set dev veth1 up
     ip route add default via 10.0.0.1
```

*Question 1: How to do the aforementioned commands in libnl? *

I also found the documentation of libnl obscure. From a beginner's point
of view,
it's hard to learn the practical usage of libnl and do the job quickly.
It may lack of some good quick start examples.
I found test files contained in the source repository helpful, but sadly
the scope is limited.

There arises my second and three questions:

*Question 2: Is there any good start point to learn how to use libnl,
tutorials with examples are more appreciated.*

*Question 3: If I want to improve the documentation pages after I have
acquired enough expertise,
for example, adding some quick start examples to help newbies like me?
Then, how to contribute?*

Thanks in advance for your kind helps!
---
hahawang