Why nl_recvmsgs_report returns NLE_OBJ_NOTFOUND (-12)

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 05:54:15 PST 2017

On Thu, 2017-02-09 at 18:27 +0530, prashantkumar dhotre wrote:
> Hi
> I am seeing that nl_recvmsgs_report returns NLE_OBJ_NOTFOUND (-12).
> Could you please let me know in which cases this can happen
> Thanks

https://github.com/thom311/libnl/blob/9b22e310cec08e8a89f7e05dc7b69fa20085034c/lib/error.c#L94

happens when the system reports either ESRCH or ENOENT.

If you enable debugging by setting environment variable "NLDBG=100",
you should also see a message like:

  recvmsgs(%p): RTNETLINK responded with %d (%s)\n"

best,
Thomas