Installing libnl 3.2.27-1 on LM/Ubuntu-Xenial disables net interfaces

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Sat Sep 24 04:42:52 PDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-09-23 at 18:23 -0400, Mel Brands wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ever since I upgraded to new Linux 4.4..0-x series of kernels, I've
> had unexplained network troubles. About 1 in 5 reboots would result
> in
> network interfaces being down and I was getting "The system network
> services are not compatible with this version." from NetworkManager.
> used to "resolve" that error by rebooting... since none of the
> network
> troubleshooting methods worked for me.
>
> After I upgraded to 4.4.0-38-generic kernel, not even a reboot would
> bring network interfaces up. I finally did some searching and it
> turns
> out that libnl is the culprit.
>
> You can see other reports here for example:
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/727988/the-system-network-services-ar
> e-not-compatible-with-this-version-ubuntu-14-0
>
> The solution offered above is to downgrade libnl to 3.2.21-1. I can
> confirm that this works and my network interfaces work after reboots.
> Judging by the dates of the posts above, it seems that this issue has
> persisted for years.
>
> Since I don't like running old network packages, I'm hoping that
> someone here can tell me what's wrong and how I can fix this. I'm
> willing to help with tracking down the issue.

Hi Mel,

the askubuntu question you link too is not clear, it talks about seeing
a error message in the UI. People concluded, that it is caused by a
crash in NetworkManager related to libnl. Anyway, those bugs are
supposedly fixed in Ubuntu, so update to the newest versions of the
packages.

Also, the question and the bugs are for Ubuntu 14.04. As you are
talking about 4.4 kernel, so you apparently don't use 14.04.

So are you using 16.04? I am surprised that you are even able to
downgrade libnl3 to 3.2.21...

The message "The system network services are not compatible with this
version." is not shown by NetworkManager. It seems to come from some UI
tool. If you think it's caused by NetworkManager misbehaving, then a
good place to look is the logfile of NetworkManager.

   journalctl -u NetworkManager

or somewhere in syslog (/var/log/?).

What is your version of NetworkManager and libnl3?

best,
Thomas