Unable to create netlink socket in centos

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 01:16:50 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-10-28 at 16:53 +0530, Nikesh Kumar Mahalka wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using a CentOS Linux release 7.0.1406 (Core)
> I  am using kernel version 3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64
>
> When i am creating a netlink socket,it is getting failed.
> int sock_fd = socket(PF_NETLINK, SOCK_RAW, 1)
>  value of sock_fd is -1

did you check errno?

#include <errno.h>

sock_fd = socket(PF_NETLINK, SOCK_RAW, 1);
if (socket_fd == -1)
    perror ("failed to create socket");

also, seems like your protocol parameter is wrong.

/usr/include/linux/netlink.h:#define NETLINK_ROUTE              0       /* Routing/device hook                          */
/usr/include/linux/netlink.h-#define NETLINK_UNUSED             1       /* Unused number

  fd = socket(AF_NETLINK, SOCK_RAW, NETLINK_ROUTE);

Note that this mailing list is for libnl library. And not using netlink
in general.

Also, try to consult the manual pages first.
  man socket
  man 7 netlink

good luck
Thomas