libnl version vs kernel version

Thomas Graf tgraf at suug.ch
Sat Jun 28 00:37:17 PDT 2014

On 06/27/14 at 11:33am, Ed Slas wrote:
> Are they any compatibility restrictions between versions on libnl and the kernel?
>
> Will an application linked against libnl v2.11 run OK on kernel version 3.13?
>
> I see the only mention of this in the documentation is that the lib is tested against kernel 2.6.x

It will run fine. The Netlink protocol is designed to be forward
compatible. Any exception to that is to be considered a bug although
we sometimes can't fix them if the breakage is on the kernel side.

The statement about 2.6.x is slightly outdated and from a time when
it seemed that we would never see a 2.7 ;-)