libnl version vs kernel version

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 10:59:31 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 11:33 -0500, Ed Slas wrote:
> Are they any compatibility restrictions between versions on libnl and the kernel?
>
> Will an application linked against libnl v2.11 run OK on kernel version 3.13?
>
> I see the only mention of this in the documentation is that the lib is tested against kernel 2.6.x

Hi,

As you probably are aware, the 3.x kernel merely increments the first
version number with respect to 2.6.x. In that sense it is not a major
update that breaks compatibility.

I updated the documentation to mention 3.x as well.

[[ btw. do you mean libnl v3.11? ]]

The kernel interface is supposed to be stable across version and
libnl3 is supposed to be stable to. Anything else is a bug.

libnl3 also uses a copy of the user space kernel headers, so there
should also be no problems building against older kernel (headers).

If you encounter a problem, you might first want to see if it is fixed
in the newest version of libnl3.

Thomas