IFLA_NUM_VF not set or improperly parsed

Jef Oliver jef at eljef.me
Thu Feb 13 19:20:46 EST 2014

Hello,

On a system with SRIOV support and functional VFs (ixgbe) loaded (2 per
port), I get -NLE_OPNOTSUPP when calling rtnl_link_get_num_vf on any
link with SRIOV support and VFs loaded. I am able to list the VFs with
ip link show. I was digging through the code and got as far as
IFLA_NUM_VF being parsed in the returned packet. This gets a bit deeper
than my current netlink knowledge, so I am unsure where to move to next.

I have reproduced this in RHEL 6.4/6.5 with stock 2.6.32 inbox and
updated 2.6.32 kernels, RHEL 6.5 with upstream 3.11.x and 3.12.x, as
well as on an Arch Linux system running 3.12.x.

I am perfectly willing to dig deeper and figure out what is going on
with a bit of guidance, or assist in any way I can.

Thanks,
Jef Oliver