Programmatic traffic shaping

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:11:28 EST 2013

Hi,

I've got an AMQP proxy that applies policy to the messages clients send to a target AMQP host. I was considering re-implementing the current Erlang proxy with libnl.

I addition to what it already does, the proxy needs to:
Throttle clients that exceed a ingress flow rate;
(Optionally) send back an AMQP frame to indicate to the remote that it has been throttled;
Consume less resources than it currently does;
On face value, libnl-route appears to offer the features that can help me not re-invent the wheel:
Programmatic interception (and mangling I believe) of inbound packets;
It has all of the queueing primitives;
As a framework, it has reasonably low processing overhead (for non-kernel code);
So I was wondering if my assumptions are wrong and whether I am barking up the wrong tree.

Is this idea vaguely sane, or should I be looking elsewhere to achieve my goal?

Cheers,

Ben