www.infradead.org (CNAME casper.infradead.org) 85.118.1.10 offline?

Lloyd Chang lloydchang at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 16:52:02 EST 2013

Hello Thomas, Марк, David, et. all,

Would you kindly help recommend usage for smallest and fastest download of
libnl version 3.2.9 sources? Thank you.

While www.infradread.org is down, it sounds like Марк is recommending that
I use
    git://github.com/tgraf/libnl.git tag libnl3_2_9
instead of
    http://www.infradead.org/~tgr/libnl/files/libnl-3.2.9.tar.gz

Alternatively, can I also use the tarball at
http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/blfs/conglomeration/libnl/libnl-3.2.9.tar.gz,
it is hosted on a web-site mirror of Linux From Scratch (LFS)?

Here are differences between usage scenarios that I've noticed on my end:

1. git://github.com/tgraf/libnl.git is 5.9MB. It takes 5.24 seconds to git
clone on each new try, then 0.04 seconds to git checkout libnl3_2_9.

2.
http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/blfs/conglomeration/libnl/libnl-3.2.9.tar.gzis
1.1MB. The first wget takes 5.24 seconds, but subsequently wget takes
0.25 seconds only (possibly due to cache-ing by http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net).

Generally, I'd prefer libnl-3.2.9.tar.gz instead of libnl.git tag
libnl3_2_9 because it's smaller (1.1MB for .tar.gz vs. 5.9MB .git) to
download, and faster to download in try #2 through try #N (0.25 seconds for
.tar.gz vs. 5.29 seconds for .git).

Once www.infradead.org comes online, I can run similar download timing
comparisons between http://www.infradead.org/~tgr/libnl and
http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/blfs/conglomeration/libnl/

I understand timing speeds may vary for each person due to effect of:
1. GitHub possibly having a content delivery network (CDN) world-wide?
2. Linux From Scratch having LFS website mirrors world-wide described at
http://www.lfs-matrix.net/mirrors.html
3. www.infradead.org might be a single server only (hence it's down, and
possibly requires a server and Apache restart?)

Thank you,
Lloyd