rtnl_link_vlan_add() and rtnl_link_bridge_add() ?

Pavel Simerda psimerda at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 08:17:13 EDT 2012

> From: "Thomas Graf" <tgraf at suug.ch>

> > > Patches are very welcome. I'm planning to add this if nobody
> > > beats
> > > me to it.
> >
> > I will have them in NetworkManager anyway, for compatibility and
> > will poke
> > you when I'm merging them.
>
> Not sure what this means. One of the reasons this hasn't progressed
> lately is because the kernel interface is still being discussed. It
> would be nice to directly return a link object when adding a new
> interface in order for the caller to not having to go through the
> hassle of identifying the interface that was just created.

Makes sense.

> This is
> especially desirable if the kernel is put in charge of creating the
> interface name.

We're not currently doing this. I'm using rtnl_link_add() for now with
libnl3. Note that our compatibility layer still supports libnl1. We will
eventually drop it together with libnl2, but even then will have to keep
compatible with libnl3.

If you have any suggestions to make our life easier with libnl compatibility,
I'm all for listening :).

Pavel