Proper API for nl80211?

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sat Jun 9 04:17:58 EDT 2012

Hi all,

> > I know that libnl currently doesn't support nl80211 and genlink
> socket may be used to access the "nl80211" family, but-would there be
> a better way how nl80211 could be supported by libnl? Could there be a
> dedicated API for wireless, or do I have to use genlink?
> >
> > I may find some free time (during weekends and sleepless nights) to
> develop an embryo of such API if it is possible/desirable and there is
> no one else working on this subject. Please let me know what do you
> think.
>
> Johannes,
>
> Is there a nl80211 library for Petr to use? Or existing code that
> could be converted into a shared library?

I don't think there is, I usually tell people to use the "iw" source
code as a reference (it's very permissively licensed.)

More recently, I've come to the conclusion that there's little value in
providing a library at all: iw itself is really just a very thin wrapper
around the APIs and those APIs are mostly useless in themselves, for
almost every "serious" use of wireless you have to use wpa_supplicant
anyway.

johannes