wireless scanning removes link address from cache manager

Gotthard, Petr Petr.Gotthard at Honeywell.com
Mon Jul 9 14:15:10 EDT 2012

Hello,
I'm experiencing the following behavior using kernel 3.3.4-5.fc17.i686.PAE and the latest libnl:

I start the libnl cache manager ("test-cache-mngr route/link") and then scan for wireless networks ("iw wlan0 scan"). After the results are printed the link/MAC address for the scanned wireless link (wlan0) disappears from the cache manager.

I realized that when the wireless link scanning produces results, the kernel also sends a RTM_NEWLINK event (for that link). This event has no address field. This event is then received and processed by the libnl cache manager and the "updated" link status (without the link address) is stored by the link manager.

This probably explains why the address is gone, but do you please have any idea what is wrong: kernel or libnl?

Regards,
Petr

P.S. By doing a stupid search in kernel sources I found the rtnetlink_ifinfo_prep function in net/wireless/wext-core.c that seems to send RTM_NEWLINK without an address field. But I have no glue is the strange event is sent by this function.