libnl userspace to userspace

Thomas Graf tgraf at infradead.org
Thu Apr 5 04:09:01 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 02:40:20PM -0400, Veytser, Leonid - 0665 - MITLL wrote:
> Looking through genetlink.h file I notice that among the control commands
> there are CTRL_CMD_NEWFAMILY and CTRL_CMD_NEWMCAST_GRP commands defined.
> Does this mean that in theory there is a facility to create new generic
> netlink families and new multicast groups from userspace?

Nope, these message types are used exclusively for notifications and to
reply to GET requests.

If we ever implement this facitliy we would  certain reuse those commands.

Maybe it's time to think about this and allow for a controller in userspace
to manage a list of userspace-userpace generic netlink families. I think
it does not make sense to bother the kernel with this if we can avoid it.