Does libnl support multihtreaded apps ?

Thomas Graf tgraf at infradead.org
Fri May 13 07:21:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:07:42PM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> The problem was actually discovered in the context of using libnl
> from libvirt to setup macvtap interfaces (and it was a libvirt
> person who provided the patch, not that anyone's counting ;-)

I apologize. I've received the patch via Dan and assumed it was
NM.

> in newer versions of libnl). I would be very interested in hearing
> about other threading issues that may be carry-overs from libnl-1.1
> (since at least Fedora and RHEL are still using that version).

In 1.1 there shouldn't be any thread issues left besides the error
code.

In 3.0, even though the error pointer has been eliminated in favour
of returning the error code invidivually, some minor problems still
exist such as the classid resolver using tfind() on static data.

> Thinking about it, libvirt+netcf might be a good place to stretch
> libnl-3.0's thread muscles...

Good point.