high volume reliability in libnl

Brett Ciphery brett.ciphery at windriver.com
Mon Dec 12 16:28:12 EST 2011

Hi,

First, thanks a lot for producing libnl it's been a great help.

I'm using libnl in a system with a high-level of netlink traffic for
kernel event notifications as well as for filling a route cache (e.g.
only reads).

I see mentioned in the netlink man page that it is not a reliable
protocol and if receiving messages from the kernel, it should detect an
ENOBUFS error and resychronize.  Is this limitation handled within
libnl?  I've been poking around the git tree (head 4a7791e) and it seems
to return an error in this case (nl.c:494), which calling functions
don't _appear_ to handle and resubmit.

Could you confirm my suspicion?  I may submit a patch in the near future
to handle this.

Cheers,
Brett