Libnl questions

hong zhang henryzhang62 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 21:10:15 EDT 2011

--- On Tue, 4/26/11, Tchang Chen (ST-CO/ENG1.3) <Chen.Tchang at nl.bosch.com> wrote:

From: Tchang Chen (ST-CO/ENG1.3) <Chen.Tchang at nl.bosch.com>
Subject: Libnl questions
To: "libnl at lists.infradead.org" <libnl at lists.infradead.org>
Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 4:16 AM

Hi,

I would like to use iw-0.9.22 in combination with cfg80211, libnl and Linux kernel 2.6.37-4.
I noticed that cfg80211 is part of the Linux kernel distribution 2.6.37-4.

Q1: Can I use the latest libnl-3.0  in combination with the software mentioned above ?
      Or do I have to apply an earlier version ? If so, which version will fit best ?

ANS: Yes, you should be able to do it.

Q2: I understand that nl80211 and cfg80211 are intended to replace Wireless-Extensions.
      Do is the additional value of nl80211 ? Will cfg80211 be sufficient for setup and configuration ?

ANS: Yes, iw is degined to communicate with wireless driver using nl80211/cfg80211 and wireless stack.

Q3: I suspect that libnl should be implemented as user kernel module in kernel space.
      Is this assumption correct ?

 ANS: Actually, libnl is used for user space and kernel space.

Q4: Are there any other issues, which should be taken in mind  for achieving a succesful implementation ?

ANS: You use it and tell us what you find out.

My hardware platform:
PetaLinux v2.1 (embedded Linux 2.6.37-4 for a MicroBlaze softcore processor on a FPGA)

Hope you can help me with these questions,

Thx and best regards,

Chen

Chen C. Tchang
BOSCH Security systems B.V.