Querying?

Wouter Verhelst wouter at debian.org
Tue Sep 15 14:50:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've been writing some stuff using libnl, and it seems to come along
nicely. That is, as long as I want to set a network interface address
from userland, or play with some flags, or something similar.

However, I can't seem to figure out how to query stuff from the kernel.
I'd like to be able to tell the kernel things like 'give me a list of
network intefaces you have', 'what addresses have been assigned to
interface X', or 'tell me when something happens' -- the equivalent of
'ip monitor'.

Is this actually possible with libnl? If so, what should I be doing?

trying to fool the system.