Multicast support in libnl

Mallika Gautam mallika.gautam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 05:56:58 EST 2009

Hi,

This is a very basic question.

I am trying to use generic netlink linux kernel 2.6.23. Briefly, the
kernel module sends a multicast message which should then be received
in user space. There are multiple user space processes that are
interested in this multicast message.
I can see the multicast macros (CTRL_ATTR_MCAST_GRP_NAME,
CTRL_ATTR_MCAST_GRP_ID) defined in genetlink.h but no handling in
libnl 1.1. I also checked the HEAD version in libnl git, but could not
find any handling there as well.

Could anyone please point me how to register to a multicast group for
generic netlink family. Also kindly point to the correct libnl version
supporting the functionality and the site.

Thanks.
Mallika