[libical] would be nice to have a platform-independent way of building libical

Andrew Marlow marlow.agents at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 4 03:34:19 PDT 2010

I am a Unix guy and am quite used to saying ./configure && make && make
install. However, I am currently developing on Windoze so I am beginning to
appreciate platform-independent ways of building libraries. The configure
dance is fine for POSIX-like environments but only works on Windoze when
using cygwin.

The env I am in right now is for Visual Studio. Any third party C++
libraries have to be built from source, due to lack of a std ABI for C++ and
the various compile-time switches we use (e.g checked iterators, unicode
support etc etc). So I really need to be able to build libical for Windoze
using Visual Studio 2005. I don't think a pre-compiled binary will quite cut
it, although I would try it if one was available.

I have seen several ways to tackle the cross-platform build problem. They
include:

MPC (MakeProjectCreator) - This is my personal favourite since it creates VS
project files (and Makefiles for POSIX of course).
CMake - I've not used it yet but I've heard lots of good things about it.
perforce jam - not as good as MPC IMO but still good.
boost jam - too complex for me...

Would it be possible for libical to start to use one of these in the
interests of cross-platform building?