Question: DST Transitions and iCal RRULEs

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 10:25:12 PST 2016

What is the proper method of generating RRULEs that cross DST boundaries?

I'm working on a project that uses iCal data to communicate recurrence events; my part of the project receives the iCal data from another part and we need to be able to cross DST boundaries successfully between both. The generator uses python-dateutils and pytz, while my part uses libical 1.0.1 (for the time being). It seems as if the DST boundaries in a grey-area of iCal usage so I'm looking for advice on how to properly use libical.

FWIW, the python portion converts a naive time (time w/o time zone) to UTC, then to the desired time zone using date-utils, then converts tries to get a local time via pytz to detect duplicate or missing iterations. I have not been able to spot a similar approach for libical, and our unit tests are presently off-by-an-hour for a number of the DST boundary tests.

Thanks,

Ben