[Freeassociation-devel] 32 bit time_t

Antony Bowesman adb at thorntothehorn.org
Thu Dec 29 15:52:21 PST 2011

On 30/12/2011 8:42 AM, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Thursday 29 December 2011 02:12:59 PM Antony Bowesman wrote:
>> I'm integrating libical with some old 32 bit s/w, which is built with
>> _USE_32BIT_TIME_T on Windows.  This means any function with time_t in the
>> interface, e.g. icaltime_from_timet_with_zone() doesn't work using the default
>> libical build.
>>
>> I tried to run Cmake with -D_USE_32BIT_TIME_T=true, but it ignores that param.
>>
>> What's the 'right' way to make libical use 32 bit time_t?  I modified the vcproj
>> files, but that's a hack.
>>
>> Is it modify cmakelists.txt or something else
>>
>> Can it be made configurable about whether Win version is built with 32/64 time_t?
>>
> So even if you are using a 32 bit MSVC, time_t is still 64 bits?
> that seems a little strange.

MS changed the default time_t size in Visual Studio 2005 from 32 to 64 bit, so
the default libical build using

cmake -G "Visual Studio 8 2005"

will make time_t 64 bit.  Our app is built with -D_USE_32BIT_TIME_T, so the two
cannot work together unless I build libical with -D_USE_32BIT_TIME_T.

> try this: in the libical/CMakeLists.txt, put the line
> add_definitions(-D_USE_32BIT_TIME_T=1)
> somewhere near the top

That works, I wrapped it in

if(WIN32)
   if(MSVC)
     add_definitions(-D_USE_32BIT_TIME_T)
   endif(MSVC)
endif(WIN32)

and it makes the vcproj files with the correct define, so that's OK, but I guess
some people will want 32 bit time_t and others will want 64, depends on how they
are using the library, so it would be good to have it selectable on the CMake
command line, e.g. with -D_USE_32BIT_TIME_T=true.

I'm not sure how to change CMakeLists.txt to achieve this though.

Thanks
Antony