[Freeassociation-devel] build and deb packaging changes

Fathi Boudra fboudra at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 01:30:46 PST 2010

Hi Glenn,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:33 AM,  <crass at berlios.de> wrote:
> I'm new to deb packaging so your input is welcome.  I am curious about
> the reasoning for not including the .la files.  Can you give any more
> info on this, perhaps a policy document ?  It would seem to me that
> including them couldn't hurt and might be useful (and they are small
> files).  Is it to reduce filesystem clutter?  I noticed that it seemed
> true of a lot of gnome packages like libatk1.0-dev.

The rationale could be found on debian-devel mailing list:

Release goal: Getting rid of unneeded *.la / emptying dependency_libs

let me know if you want more pointers.

> In terms of debian support, I don't really know because I use ubuntu
> and am not sure what implications would be.

there isn't any implications, i recommend to use python-support and you used it.

> If you are the debian/ubuntu maintainer I would request that you do not include the
> python packages at this time.  I'm thinking about reworking the
> interface/API.

sure, I didn't planned to ship python bindings until it's enough stable.