[Freeassociation-devel] icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone yields timezone without history

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at gmx.de
Tue Dec 1 13:12:36 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 21:44 +0100, Arnout Engelen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 03:11:21PM -0500, dothebart wrote:
> > The current code doesn't support it.
>
> This much was clear to me :)
>
> > and, as usual, yes, patches welcome.
>
> What I meant to ask was: would modifying icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone to
> return a timezone with all its exceptions intact (like vzic would show it when
> run with the '--pure' parameter) be a suitable way to start fixing this problem?

This was discussed with the Evolution developers a while ago when I ran
into the same issue. We came to the conclusion that for some purposes, a
simplified VTIMEZONE as it is returned now is better. For example, when
creating a meeting invitation for a single day, a simple VTIMEZONE with
the data for that day is sufficient and more likely to be understood by
simple programs who don't know how to handle complex VTIMEZONE
definitions.

So we we would need a new API which passes in enough information to
determine which parts of a the complete internal timezone are to be
included in the generated timezone definition.

Another, equally tricky problem is that the system timezone to internal
timezone conversion code doesn't support building complete internal
timezone definitions. The system has the data, so the code could be
improved. It's not particularly easy to read and understand, though.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
Patrick.Ohly at gmx.de
http://www.estamos.de/