[Freeassociation-devel] icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone yields timezone without history

Arnout Engelen libical at bzzt.net
Tue Dec 1 11:42:21 PST 2009

Hi,

icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone(const char *location) yields a rather
'simplified' version of the timezone pointed to by location: only the current
way of determining the timezone, without the historical exceptions - like vzic
would report it in Outlook2k-compatible mode.

It this desired behavior? It currently makes the regression tests fail,
because test 23 expects 2000-11-03 to be non-DST in LA.

In 2000, indeed DST ended the last week of october. Nowadays, however, it ends
the first week of November. Because icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone only
returns the current procedure, 2000-11-03 is considered to be DST, and the
regression test fails.

Should icaltimezone_get_builtin_timezone return a timezone with all its
exceptions intact, or is this function designed to be suitable only for the
current date?

(I previously sent this mail to freeassociation-libical where it went
unanswered. Because I saw there was some discussion about this topic here
recently, I decided to re-send it, as it appears this is a more suitable place
for these kind of topics)

Regards,

Arnout