[Freeassociation-devel] Default value for ical_errors_are_fatal

IGnatius T Foobar room_freeassociation-devel at uncensored.citadel.org
Wed Dec 17 11:07:35 PST 2008

 I can see advantages to both sides of whether the default behavior should
be to make errors fatal.  On one hand, it does encourage better coding
practice; on the other hand, crashing an end-user application because
someone figured out a new way to give it corrupt input is just a bad idea.

 Since we're merged/merging we do have to arrive at a concensus.  Right
now I feel that the security of not crashing end user applications
outweighs the benefit of pointing out bad code during the development
process, but I'm happy to go with whatever the group agrees on.

 For what it's worth, Citadel explicitly tells libical to make errors
non-fatal, so it doesn't matter to me what the default setting is.  It
seems like a realistic expectation that all applications should set their
own preference regardless of what we agree on as a default.

 In other news, you'll notice that I checked in the "vzic" tool.  This is
a modified version of zic that converts the Olsen database into icalendar
format.  This is irrelevant for platforms on which we use tzdata from the
host operating system, of course, but since Damon Chaplin's download site
appears to be defunct, I felt it was important to get my one remaining
copy of this tool checked in.  Every so often we will download Olsen and
run vzic against it for the benefit of those poor unfortunate Windows
users.

   -- Art