[Freeassociation-devel] Default value for ical_errors_are_fatal

Suman Manjunath manjunath.suman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 07:08:05 PST 2008

Hello Allen,

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 20:11, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> Except suppose another project (eg. KDE) want the opposite behavior?
> Then a distro will have to choose who best to support.  They won't
> provide  libical-barf and libical-nobarf packages.
>
> All those asserts were a pain to deal with -- no doubt about it.
> OTOH, we found real problems in our KDE code because of them.

It's good to know that bugs were fixed in your code. It may not be the
case with other projects. It certainly is not the case with evolution
and friends. Fixed applications would still work with libical
(configured to disable icalerror_* fatality). It doesn't work the
other way around.

Maybe we can fix a timeline for cleaning up the code in Evolution (and
other projects). libical 0.5 / 0.6 ??

> So I'm more in favor of the applications dealing with it; either they
> fix their code or they need to set the global variable appropriately.

Like I mentioned, it's good to have the fatality in a developer
environment (which is why I proposed it be enabled by default), but
not in a shipped package. Maybe not yet.

The option of setting the variable at runtime is probably not a good
option EVER, for each process which depends libical needs to do it.
Every application that depends on a library that in-turn depends on
libical need to do 'em again.

-Suman