WPA_SUPPLICANT on OLPC not connecting to HOSTAPD on Raspberry Pi

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Mar 16 10:48:56 PDT 2017

Hello Libertas List,

I am continuing to track down an issue I am having with the OLPC XO1.

I am working to modernize an OS for the XO1 in an attempt to turn it
in to a daylight readable IDE for S.T.E.A.M. Education.  I,
effectively, wish to bring kids outside to build and program robots
with natural obstacles and in the fresh air.

I am an embedded Linux developer, so I am no stranger to squishing
these bugs, but I am hung up on the one, final issue.

I have an extensive email I have sent to the HOSTAPD and
WPA_SUPPLICANT list, and it is included below the following reply from
Jouni who sent me this way (after confirming my suspicions, but I
wanted to rule out high level remedies before I began asking for help
on legacy hardware.)

But first I will post some key elements from the email, below.

1. The OLPC connects using the default OS to WPA networks
2. The OLPC connects using the modern Debian Jessie OS to unencrypted networks
3. The RPi running Rasbian has no trouble accepting other clients
4. The RPi hostapd debug gives NO statuses when OLPC attempts connections
5. I have tried the precompiled OEM (laptop.org) kernel, and have
compiled 3.10 and 4.8 kernels from the OLPC XO GIT repos and all fail
in the exact same way under Debian Jessie
6. I have tried driver firmwares from laptop.org, from Debian Jessie,
and other sources.
7. I have instructions of how to build a Debian Jessie Distro for the
OLPC XO1 which should 100% repeat the exact image, let alone the
failure.
    i. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LrKfiRNY_-K5tDGRWopfX6hXTlrvxW79jKJo1iquMl0

Please consider Jouni's reply and my previous e-mail, below.

Thank you very much for maintaining this driver for legacy hardware.

-c