net-libertas: Better exception handling in if_spi_host_to_card_worker()

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jan 2 03:21:32 PST 2016

> I have never seen much evolution going on in this area.

I can get an other impression from a specific document for example.
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/log/Documentation/CodingStyle

> What the patch tries to do is avoid the extra 'if (err)'.

Yes. - I propose to look at related consequences together with the usage
of a popular short jump label once more.

> Setting coding style aside, the question is whether there is
> a good metric for the patch.

A software development challenge is to accept changes also around a topic
like "error handling". My update suggestion for the source file
"drivers/net/wireless/marvell/libertas/if_spi.c" should only improve
exception handling. (I came along other source files where more improvements
will eventually be possible.)

When will the run-time behaviour matter also for exceptional situations?

> Did you look at the resulting assembly code for different target architectures?

Not yet. - Which execution system variants would you recommend for
further comparisons?

Regards,
Markus