Is the Marvell 88w8335 [Libertas] chipset natively supported on Linux?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon May 11 08:09:24 PDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-05-09 at 22:17 +0530, Hersh Verthun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PCI Wireless Adapter from Netgear.
>
> Model: Netgear WG311v3 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
> Chipset: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g
> Wireless (rev 03)
>
> Is there a native Linux driver for this chipset?

There was one a long time ago called 'mrv8k' but it was never well
maintained and didn't work terribly well.

> I have read and set it up using "ndiswrapper" but it uses old/outdated
> WinXP driver that uses WEP. Seeing as how WPA is better than WEP I was
> hoping that "Libertas" project would have been able to produce a native
> driver for this chipset.

The 'libertas' project is actually for a different set of Marvell WiFi
chips also called "Libertas".  Possibly an unfortunate name collision.
These are a different architecture and the driver cannot be adapted to
the 8335 series of devices.

So basically, ndiswrapper is likely your best option for now :(

Dan