freescale mx25 + libertas + 8688

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon May 2 17:34:23 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 05:10 -0400, John O'Donnell wrote:
> On 05/02/2011 04:58 AM, zamek wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > 04/30/2011 08:38 PM keltezéssel, John O'Donnell írta:
> >>
> >> This driver works for us with guruplugs with this libertas uap8xxx driver. I
> >> am going to submit this to the kernel devs and try to get this into the
> >> mainline kernel and maintain it myself since I cannot find the original
> >> author/maintainer. It does work. I can patch it to work with the latest
> >> kernels. I wish I knew who wrote this.
> >>
> >> I hope you can adapt it!
> > Yes it seems to be well! Thx for your module, I think so it is better than
> > original (supersecret) Marvell driver, no need to external compile and it is
> > compatible with my 2.6.35. kernel.
> > I found a little mistake:
> > All of
> >
> > #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,36)
> > is
> > #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,34)
> >
> > because that was the version where net_device structure changed.
> >
> > Your rc.uap8xxx script is very usable for me, thx to you :)
>
> Zamek!!!
>
> Thank you so very much!!  I didnt do the research as to when it had changed.  I
> will make the change now.  If I cannot find out who maintains this I will submit
> it to the kernel devs to try to get it in the mainline kernel.  I am tired of
> patching.

I sort of maintain Libertas, to the extent that I review and ACK/NACK
patches.  But I don't have a lot of time to actually work on the driver
anymore.  That said, the uAP driver is quite unlikely to get upstream
into the kernel when there's already an existing driver for the
hardware.  The way to make this happen is to update the existing driver
to handle AP mode by merging the pieces of the uAP driver, which is the
way all the other wifi drivers in the kernel work.  It's  not really
acceptable to have to rmmod/modprobe stuff just to switch the device's
mode...  Yeah, that kinda sucks from an effort standpoint, but the
kernel does things the right way and rarely hacks stuff up unless
there's is simply no alternative :(

Dan