Libertas 8688 micro-AP

John O'Donnell unixjohn1969 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 03:09:39 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am working with the armedslack distribution group (Slackware for ARM).  Some
of us use Guruplug machines with wireless.  The driver patch that Marvell uses
provides a working driver for older Linux kernels.  So far I have not seen
updates to this patch and as newer kernels arrive I keep patching and patching
the original driver patch.  This is what I have working so far bundled into one
patch that our users are actively using:

http://juanisan.homeip.net/guruplug/JJO-Marvell-Libertas-8688-AP-FULLPATCH-supports-up-to-linux-2.6.38.patch

I contacted a developer at Marvell yesterday to find out where this originated
from as I have alot of questions about the driver.  They pointed me to this
mailing list.

Why isnt this driver in the kernel proper yet?  Is there something holding back
its release?  We want to include it in standard Slackware but cannot until it
gets included into the kernel, so I keep handing out patches to our community
and it gets shared out to whomever needs a patch to a clean kernel.

What needs to be done?  Who maintains this?  Is there a more current version I
dont know about so I dont have to keep updating it myself against the latest
kernels?

Thank you in Advance
John O'Donnell

--
=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===