azurewave / marvell ?

Christopher Friedt chrisfriedt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:58:21 EST 2010

Hi folks,

I'm porting Linux to a new pxa-based device with _partial_
manufacturer support. I have the schematics, but there are still
several components for which I'm lacking documentation. From what the
manufacturer has told me, it uses a marvell 8686 gspi module for wifi.
The device ships with wince and in wince it says that the module is an
azurewave chip. The mac address is prefixed with 00:15:AF, which also
suggests its an azurewave module [1].

Should I believe the manufacturer or should I believe the mac registry [1] ?

Is it possible that azurewave has only licensed ip from marvell, and
that this device is actually a marvell chip sold by a different
company ?

Is it possible that the wince driver simply adds in a bit of extra
cruft to work with azurewave code as well ?

Is there anyone else in the linux-wireless world who is working with
azurewave technology?

I'm getting to the point where I'm considering using haret to monitor
all traffic on the spi bus to write a driver for myself, but I thought
that I would seek the community's input first (it would be nice if the
handheld manufacturer could be of more help, but their management
overhead seems to slow down the entire process).

Regards,

Chris

[1] http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/?string=0015af