Bug in lbs_set_essid

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 11:50:17 EDT 2010

I was tracking down a scanning delay that was happening during resume
on my olpc XO 1.5, and came across this bug.  Note, during suspend the
card is completely powered down, so resume is a clean start with no
history.

The card is powered up and initializes a full scan.  Channels 1-4 are
scanned and then an association request for any is initiated.  When
lbs_set_essid is called the SSID is set to garbage, so then the driver
tries to connect to this bogus SSID for a while until it gives up and
then finishes scanning the rest of the channels.

Here is the Association Request with the broken SSID

[  567.199744] libertas assoc: Association Request:
[  567.199749]     flags:     0x00000772
[  567.199753]     SSID:      '%�\01'
[  567.199757]     chann:     1
[  567.199761]     band:      0
[  567.199765]     mode:      2
[  567.199768]     BSSID:     00:00:00:00:00:00
[  567.199773]     secinfo:
[  567.199776]     auth_mode: 1

I haven't written a patch to fix it yet.

Jon