power management on the 8686 chipset

Jeff Sutherland jeffs at fomsystems.com
Tue Sep 1 08:22:46 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 01 September 2009, Andrey Yurovsky wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 6:54 AM, Jeff Sutherland<jeffs at fomsystems.com>
wrote:
> > I've backported the latest driver code from John's wireless-testing git
> > repo to my 2.6.30 kernel, and whilst normal operation is fine, I still
> > can't get the part into IEEE power saving mode using iwconfig or iwlist.
> >  What is the command to put the libertas 8686 chip (sdio interface) into
> > power saving mode?  Platform is PXA270 using the OpenEmbedded distro.
>
> # iwconfig ethN power on
>
> How are you verifying that IEEE PS mode is activated?
>
>   -Andrey

I don't know how many times in the past I tried that command and never noticed
anything taking effect.  Ideed, 'iwconfig wlan0' would always report power
management as being off even after running that command.  This morning I try
it again and for the first time I'm seeing current reduction plus 'iwconfig
wlan0' reports power management as on.  Must be some magic in the air today
or something, as I thought I was running the latest libertas code from
wireless-testing.  Anyway, seems to work now :-)

With the system at idle, no other power management in the kernel enabled,
associated with an A/P, without power management enabled battery drain is a
consistent 365mA.  Once power management is enabled, input current drops to
about 191mA most of the time, which briefly jumps back up to 365mA every two
seconds as the link sits idle with no traffic.  Current jumps around a little
bit depending on network traffic.  A big rsync transfer shows little increase
in average power (probably because it's waiting for the flash file system,
the transfer rate isn't all that fast).  But bottom line is the power savings
are considerable with little apparent effect on operations.

For all list members:
Another thing I'm concerned with is what's happening at the A/P end, as it has
to keep track of which clients are in IEEE power saving mode and do some
buffering of traffic for them.  I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS with the dd-wrt
firmware, and for one client it works fine.  But I suspect that a little box
like this could possibly get overwhelmed rather quickly if it had a lot of
wireless clients in IEEE mode and a moderate amount of network traffic.
Opinions? Experiences?

Regards,
-Jeff
--
FOM Systems Inc.   www.fomsystems.com
phone:  (USA) +1-330-628-2102 or 800-936-0561, (UK) +44-161-408-3072