Marvell 86868 SDIO firmware loading failure

Jonathan Cameron jic23 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 14 06:27:24 EDT 2009

Maurus Cuelenaere wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Op 13-10-09 21:18, Chris Ball schreef:
>> Hi Maurus,
>>
>>> [ 18.970000] libertas: firmware helper signalled error
>>
>> There was a thread with similar symptoms on this list two months ago:
>>
>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/libertas-dev/2009-August/002665.html
>
> I did saw that thread before posting, but didn't look very close at it.
>
> I've now tried putting an msleep(1) before the sdio_writesb() call in both
> if_sdio_prog_helper() and if_sdio_prog_real() (the OP had problems
> helper firmware, but in my case it's in loading the actual firmware),
> but it
> didn't change anything.
Though I'm still having 'issues' with the timing of firmware loads the above
fix is more or less what I'm using.

Note that the error without that fix does turn up in the main firmware load
(despite the fix being needed in the helper firmware load).

That's not to say I think your problem is the same one.

As an interesting aside the smart mer git repository seems to have a few patches
related to the libertas driver. Not a clue where the came from and none of them have
obvious connections to firmware loading though.

Tree is

git://gitorious.org/mer-smartq/mer-smartq-kernel.git

Patch in question was

commit 00f370ce61f903ba8697709d58dc459fd65579f5
Author: YouSheng <david.ysh at gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Jul 21 14:56:03 2009 +0800

    Apply smartq patch

Guess David might know more?