Marvel 8686 in adhoc mode

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 19:35:48 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 14:11 +1300, Ryan Mallon wrote:
> Can anybody tell me if the Libertas driver will support the Marvell
> 88W8686 chip in adhoc mode at 54Mbps. If so, which kernel version was
> this supported introduced at?

There's nothing I can find that says it *can't*, though I haven't tried
it personally.

The driver defaults are used when the driver starts up, which I assume
means adaptive ratesetting defaults are in-force, but that's up to the
firmware.

Setting the rate with iwconfig (SIOCSIWRATE) will set power rate
adaptation on firmware < v9 (nobody has gotten around to adding the v9+
command for that yet), then set TX rate adaptation using
CMD_802_11_ADAPT_RATESET, which controls the max TX rate.  That patch
has been in since 2.6.28 I think.

Dan