Libertas with if_spi on pxa270

Uli Luckas u.luckas at road.de
Mon Jan 26 12:13:23 EST 2009

On Monday, 26. January 2009, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 16:58 +0200, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Have anybody tried to use 8686 with G-SPI on PXA270?
> > I've merged libertas-related changes from wireless-testing tree on top of
> > 2.6.29-rc2, added a "libertas_spi" device to my platform code, but all I
> > could get from the if_spi was "libertas: Can't read bus mode register."
> > :(
>
> Have you set up the Chip Select stuff correctly for your board (see
> gpio_cs in the platform data)?  That seems to be board-dependent and
> there's not a good generic way of doing this in the current kernel
> sources.
>
> That error is the first error that will get reported when the driver
> actually tries to talk to the card, which requires that the Chip Select
> stuff be set up correctly.  If you think you've got that already set up,
> can you manually inspect whether or not the libertas device has actually
> been selected on the board?
>
> Dan

Judging from the blackfin board setup code, we need to switch the controller
to 16 bits/word. This seems to not be possible with the pxa spi driver.
For testing it might help to replace the spi_read/spi_write calls with local
implementations of a spi_read16/spi_write16 funtion which sets the
bits_per_word in struct spi_transfer.
I also wonder, which value to use for mode in my struct spi_board_info.

Uli

--

------- ROAD ...the handyPC Company - - -  ) ) )

Uli Luckas
Head of Software Development

ROAD GmbH
Bennigsenstr. 14 | 12159 Berlin | Germany
fon: +49 (30) 230069 - 62 | fax: +49 (30) 230069 - 69
url: www.road.de

Amtsgericht Charlottenburg: HRB 96688 B
Managing director: Hans-Peter Constien