SDIO Marvel 8686 card

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 18:14:48 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 15:44 -0700, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> I was googling a couple days ago to see whether there is any
> open-source SDIO wifi card.  I found this:
>
> http://bsdimp.blogspot.com/2007/05/found-cheap-sdio-80211b-card.html

The 8686 is actually an 802.11 b/g part.  I'd be quite surprised to see
that card advertised as an 802.11b-only part.  But anyway...  I've never
seen a consumer-level 8686 SDIO card.

> and some other clue somewhere that there might be an open-source
> driver; and then found some on ebay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370146807227

Yeah, looking up the FCC ID shows it's a Marvell chip, but the image is
too fuzzy to figure out what actual part # and hardware revision it is.

In any case, 8385 SDIO should work with a little effort.  I'll try to
grab a few of these and fix up the driver.  More testing on your side
would be great too.

> so I ordered a couple.  Now I'm trying to find the firmware,
> sd8385_helper.bin and sd8385.bin.
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/libertas

> says it can be gotten from the Marvell site somewhere.  Any ideas more
> specifically?  Lemme guess... it's not redistributable?

The firmware is now redistributable and can be found here:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=tree;f=libertas;h=73683868101e26d187baaa7bd6685d1450d34f7c;hb=HEAD

Dan