power management on the 8686 chipset

Andrey Yurovsky andrey at cozybit.com
Tue Aug 25 12:44:04 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Jeff Sutherland<jeffs at fomsystems.com> wrote:
> Can someone enlighten me as to why there seems to be such a significant
> difference between the Marvell driver for the SD8686 and the libertas driver?
> Or am I just out of date in working with a 2.6.27 kernel?  I need to get
> power management going, especially would like to experiment with IEEE power
> saving and background scanning, plus be able to put the 8686 into deep sleep
> mode via some software mechanism.  (I can't simply power down the module as
> that would kill the bluetooth part that I need to keep alive when out of wifi
> range).  Private ioctls aren't implemented in the 2.6.27 version as in the
> Marvell driver, and iwconfig seems unable to set power modes.  What is it
> that I am missing here?

Hi Jeff.  IEEE PS was working for me last time I tried it with 2.6.30
on both the SDIO and GSPI variants.  Deep Sleep mode is not
implemented in the libertas driver but there's no reason for why it
couldn't be added.  Please use compat-wireless or a more recent kernel
and confirm that IEEE PS is working (or not).

Thanks,

  -Andrey