Identify mystery libertas firmware?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 13:14:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 12:33 -0400, Bill Gribble wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 11:08 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 10:26 -0400, Bill Gribble wrote:
> > > I came across a firmware file on my hard drive that was different than
> > > the ones I had been trying on my Raon Everun (SD8686 internal), and
> > > plopped it into /lib/firmware to see what happened.
> > >
> > > Imagine my surprise when it worked!  Under kernel 2.6.27, I get an eth0
> > > device and can join and use WPA networks with no problems.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I don't know where this particular firmware file came
> > > from.  Can anyone in libertas-land identify it based on its md5sum?
> >
> > What does the driver print out in the kernel logs when you load the part
> > with this firmware?  It should print out the firmware version in the
> > first few lines after the card is inserted.
>
> Ah, ok.  Found it:
>
>    libertas: 00:19:88:xx:xx:xx, fw 8.73.7p3, cap 0x00000393

Yeah, I think thats pretty standard 8.x firmware for the SDIO parts.
There are a few references to people using it successfully elsewhere.
At least you picked a good one :)

> Works great, I see a few messages like this in the logs:
>
>    libertas: PREP_CMD: command 0x00a3 failed: 2
>
> but they don't appear to do any harm.

Yeah, MESH_CONFIG, which is normal.  The firmware will say it doesn't
know about the command and nothing abnormal should happen.

Dan