GSPI Support

Angel Roman angel.roman at mdesystems.com
Fri Oct 3 14:50:48 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

I successfully ported the marvell bulverde gspi driver to the mx31
processor using the linux spi implementation and using a GPIO as the
chip select - the MX31 has some issues with keeping the chip select
signal active for longer than 8 spi word transfers.

Unfortunately, this work cannot be open sourced due the licensing
agreements. However, after searching the web, looking at the libertas
source code and the documentation from the module vendor, I was able to
gather all the information to implement a GSPI extension to the libertas
driver.

Currently, I have TX/RX data going to and from the chip as well as CMDs
under linux 2.6.24.4 and I am able to establish an association with a
local access points. Unfortunately, I had to uncomment the DATA_RATE
command since non of the firmware versions available from marvell (gspi
8.70.8, 9.45.3, and 0.70.3) support it.

The current status of my driver is:
- ability to read write to all registers in the GSPI module
- ability to send and receive data
- ability to send commands and receive command responses.
- ability to scan for local access points and associate with them (at
least the associate command is successful and it the SSID shows up in
the iwconfig information).

Unfortunately, I am unable to receive a DHCPOFFER from my wireless
router At this point, I plan to get 2.6.26.5 running on my board to test
and work with a later version of libertas.  In the meantime, does anyone
have any suggested workarounds for firmware that does not support the
DATA_RATE command? Is this still a requirement of the latest libertas
driver? I assume we can do something via the RATE_ADAPT_RATESET command.
Any thoughts?

Regards,
Angel Roman