msh0 and haldaemon.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 23:41:22 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 19:45 -0700, Javier Cardona wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 19:22 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> >> Dear libertas-dev people,
> >>
> >> We're seeing an OLPC bug with the following characteristics:
> >>
> >> When haldaemon and NM start up, they notice and manage eth0 and msh0.
> >> When the 8388 device goes away (due to purposefully powering it down
> >> and then up again) haldaemon only notices eth0 returning, and so NM
> >> claims msh0 doesn't exist at that point and won't manage it.
>
> In case anyone from libertas-dev started looking into this, this seems
> to be related to improper udev configuration and not the driver.  For
> details, see http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7690#comment:19 .

I noticed this too on current kernels, sometimes you'd get msh0_rename,
and sometimes ethX and mshX would get mixed up.  This is precisely
because both the mesh and eth interfaces use the same MAC address and
the same capabilities, and thus udev doesn't really have any way of
doing persistent device names correctly here because there's no good way
to teach it that ethX and mshX aren't the same network interface.

Dan