libertas sdio on bf548 w/ uclinux

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 12:06:53 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 10:56 -0500, Nick Moszer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been banging my head against the wall on this one for a few days now.
>
> I'm trying to get a sdio wifi card working on a BF548-EZKIT running
> uclinux w/ 2.6.24 from the blackfin.uclinux.org svn.
> The card is a EWWMGMR05KIT-SDIO-US from embeddedworks.net:
> http://www.embeddedworks.net/wlan/oem_sdio_80211g.html
>
> On boot the kernel recognizes the card just fine:
> mmc0: new SDIO card at address 0001
>
> and it's got an entry in /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001:1 that I can
> poke at.  Also, SD flash cards work just fine.
>
> I've got the libertas driver building as a module, when I load it I get
>
> root:/> modprobe
> libertas_sdio
> ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack,
> git-1.1.13
> ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation
> <jketreno at linux.intel.com>
> libertas_sdio: Libertas SDIO
> driver
> libertas_sdio: Copyright Pierre
> Ossman
>
> (about a 60 second pause here, then)
> libertas: can't load helper firmware
> libertas: failed to load helper
> firmware
> libertas_sdio: probe of mmc0:0001:1 failed with error -2
>
> I've got firmware in /lib/firmware as sd8686.bin and sd8686_helper.bin.

Where did you get the firmware from?  Does the EW card ship with it's
own firmware?

First thing I'd do is turn on libertas debug by setting the
LIBERTAS_DEBUG Kconfig option, or by #define CONFIG_LIBERTAS_DEBUG in
defs.h.

Next, insmod your libertas.ko like so:

insmod ./libertas.ko libertas_debug=0x4863a7

which turns on the debug output for SDIO and firmware loading a few more
things.  That should help figure out where the issue lies.

Second, what specific SD host controller do you have?

Dan