Netgear wg311v3 and Fedora 8

Randy Yates yates at ieee.org
Mon Nov 19 15:16:13 EST 2007

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:

> 8335 chipsets are quite different from the 8388 & 8385 & 8686 actually.
> The 8335 is a "softmac" chipset and the ones the current libertas driver
> supports are the fullmac variety.  The 8335 isn't supported right, but
> there is actually code floating around so at some point in the near
> future it may be supported by another driver (mrv8k or mrvng are the
> two).

That's really basic information. Where is it stated that the libertas
driver is for the 8388, 8385, and 8686 chipsets? I didn't see it in the
archives anywhere, and I didn't see it here

  http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11ag.html#Libertas

which is where I came across this list.

Perhaps it would be a very good idea to be more explicit about this,
especially since the name "Libertas" means different things to different
chips? It also would have saved me about an hour.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %                    and kiss her interface,