libertas ub8xxx - bcdDevice 30.06 - firmware issues?

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 14:39:02 EST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 12:10 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 20:26 -0500, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > I have a USB libertas 1286:2001 with bcdDevice 30.06 (from lsusb -v).
> > I tried downloading the firmware from marvell:
> >
> > https://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=160&pId=38
> >
> > renaming and to usb8388.bin and putting it in firmware dir. Is this
> > the right firmware??
>
> Yikes; really old.  You might want to try:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/libertas/
>
> Dan

Removing linux-kernel as it was a typo, just keeping linux-wireless.

Thanks Dan, I've tried

http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/libertas/usb8388-5.220.11.p5.bin

as I thought that would be the latest as it has the highest point
release. It fails with:

root at node1-1:/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware# modprobe  usb8xxx
root at node1-1:/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware# dmesg -c
ieee80211: 802.11 data/management/control stack, 1.2.18
ieee80211: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Intel Corporation <jketreno at linux.intel.com>
usb8xxx: URB in failure status: -71
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb8xxx: probe of 4-1:1.0 failed with error -12
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb8xxx

I wasn't sure if the latest dated firmware was the one I should have
used so I tried it:

http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/libertas/usb8388-5.110.20.p0.bin

but I then get:

root at node1-1:/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware# modprobe  usb8xxx
root at node1-1:/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware# dmesg -c
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
[...]

Do I have to perhaps update the firmware on the device first? I saw
instruction on how to do this for some devices with a higher bcdDevice
number but not for this old one. I also am not sure where to get the
files the wiki entry mentioned on doing this.

  Luis