Libertas power saving mode?

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Mon Jul 9 02:14:25 EDT 2007

> And why it is not possible to use power save mode when the
> mesh is on?

When you're associated to an AP, you know then the AP sends it
beacon. In the beacon, the APs tell you if they have data for
you or not. So you can say "Ok, now I sleep for 95 ms, because
then the next beacon is due". Then you wake up, waiting for the
beacon. If in this beacon there's marker "New data for you!",
you sleep again. Otherwise, the firmware sends a "I'm awake"
packet to the AP and get's up.

In a mesh you don't beforehand when data cames in. You could
theoretically sleep as well, but then data for or throught you
will simply be discarded.

You could change your mesh protocol so that you can tell your
neightbors that you're sleeping, so that they would buffer your
packets while you sleep. But I'm not sure if this copes well
with a self-reorganizating mesh network.