Fwd: 88W8305 CF

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 13:43:28 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 19:06 +0100, Marek Vašut wrote:
> Hi,
> Im watching the situation about 8385CF for some time now and I noticed recent
> Holger´s progress. Well, I also have similar device and Id like to see it
> working. Actually, it´s a WiFi chip in PDA. SyChip WLAN6061EB which is in
> fact 88W8305 connected over CF interface. My task, which I assigned to me
> myself ;) is to make it working in linux. I started investigating this a few
> months ago when I became bored by porting linux to omap based stuff
> (palmtt/palmz71) and moved to pxa (palm lifedrive). You can check this thread
>
> http://hackndev.com/node/423?from=110&comments_per_page=10
>
> I wrote all I know now there. I probably forgot to say I have Palm LifeDrive
> and Im cooperating on porting linux to it ... hmm ... the project leader
> broke his device and moved to palmt650 some time ago and Im alone there
> now :S
>
> You can also see this
> http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/AcerN50Hardware
> and notice also Marvell 8305 ... I dont have that handheld, but I think it´d
> help them too ;)
>
> So ... what I wanted to ask is whether I can cooperate with you too - porting
> stuff from 8385CF to 8305CF. Id like also to ask where can I buy some of
> those 8388 dongles so I wont break your code. Im looking forward for your
> reply.

That really depends on how similar the 8305 is to the 8388/8385.  For
example, the 8338 is quite different than the 8388 (which OLPC uses).
If the firmware and hardware interface is quite similar, then maybe it
should all go in the same driver.  But if they are different in
significant ways, then it should be a separate driver.  The only reason
why the 8388 and 8385 should be the same driver is that the firmware API
for the two is almost identical, just the bus type is different.

Dan